Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lesson learned

Lesson 1: Endeavor to bear in mind that just because you hardly ever purchase that color of fiber doesn't mean you haven't ever purchased that color of fiber. That's how you end up with surprise stash issues. Yay!

Lesson 2: When in the throes of stash enhancement fervor, endeavor to check the fiber content of the item you are purchasing. Turns out, not all fibers are created equal, and spinning something you don't like is painful. (Turns out I forgot that I don't really like spinning superwash merino). At least the color was nice.
Lesson 3: Remember to only buy colors that you like. Admittedly, some pictures can be misleading. But colorway names can be a good indicator of what the finished product might look like. This started life as a braid of Rambouillet in a colorway called "Harvest Moon." I don't usually spin yellow fiber, I've never spun Rambouillet before, and I was working against the clock. Not a good combination. The singles shown here and the remainder of the 4 oz braid have gone to live with Caitlin because I couldn't face it anymore.

Lesson 3b: I don't like Rambouillet. Now I know. Since I also learned to only purchase fibers that I like (see above), hopefully I won't purchase any more of this particular fiber.






Lesson 4: I always over pack in terms of fibery goodness for a trip of any length. Especially one in which I anticipate a significant amount of downtime, despite knowing: that I have not yet started the homework assignment due over the weekend, that I have 3 doctor appointments in one day, and that I'm a serial over-packer.

Lesson 5: All liquor tastes better from a glass that says "3 sheeps to the wind" on it. 'Nuff said.


Details, you say? Fine. Caitlin drew the lovely illustration based on a knick-knack that Shelby and I encountered while I was visiting her lovely town of Winnemucca. I became enamored with the concept of owning wine glasses with drunk sheepies on them. Turns out that glasswithatwist.com will happily execute any relatively simple drawing on a variety of glassware for you. Most excellent!








I also tried the new wine-and-art fad with my sister this weekend. We painted technicolor hibiscuses! Hibisci? Hibiscus? And remembered that I have a complete dearth of natural artistic talent. Turns out that's not such a big deal, since the proprietors of the shop are trying to make sure people come back, so they take you through the painting process in baby steps. Very simple!

I'd show you a picture but the pictures are all on my phone, and some of my hibiscus attempts (like how I avoided the plural question there?) are a little deranged looking. Like I said, no natural artistic talent. It's a burden I've learned to live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment