Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's pretty!

My mother has noticed a) the amount of spinning I have undertaken lately and b) the amount of fiber that has been arriving at the house... She asked me "Do you have a purpose for all this stuff?" and I told her "It's pretty!"

She asked "But what are you going to do with it?" and I said "It's pretty!"

She gave up asking.

Don't you thin it's pretty? It so is. And I actually planned ahead while spinning it! Split it into 3 equal-ish sized chunks, 3-plied the final product. Very exciting, very pretty, and it's probably the most consistent product I've made myself. So yes, it's pretty. Pretty awesome, that is! It's Rue, on merino 64, from Storied Yarns.



In complete contrast, I also dredged up an art batt that I purchased (also from Storied Yarns) last fall. I think it was fall, anyway. Probably. I get confused.
Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater, on a variety of fibers. Only 2.8 ounces, so in less than an hour, I had some singles, and then I let it rest for a few hours (I know, you're supposed to wait overnight... whatever. I'm impatient), and voila!




Pretty! If not terribly practical. I'm not sure what it's gonna be, other than decoration, like the other art yarn I spun. Whatever, sometimes you just need to not care about drafting or even-ness, or... well, anything. It's nice to just let it all go.





And for my final stunt, the first test skein for Mariah's chuppah. The yarn arrived in the mail yesterday (2 skeins of different yarn, so she can decide what she wants), and I cast them on, and now I'm out of the first skein.
I'm going to throw that bad boy on a life line and block it, just to see what it looks like all stretched out, and whether the color ends up being any different, and then I'm gonna drape it over something chuppah-like, so I can figure out if it grows, and then I can help Mariah decide which one of these yarns to use. Tomorrow, perhaps I can finish the other one?

We shall see.

1 comment: