Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cranky

Guys, I have to tell you. I've been in a PISSY mood lately. I don't know what it was about this week, but I took Thursday as kind of a combination snow day/mental health day so that I didn't rend someone.

I think it all started on Wednesday. It was snowing all afternoon and carried on into the evening. I went to the Stitch and Bitch group I joined because I felt like I should, since there were only 3 other people planning to come and I didn't want to be lame. But guys! This SnB was waaaay down Colfax, and it was rush hour, and it was snowing. It took me like 40 minutes to get there. And I ordered a beer that I'd never tried before and didn't like it, and I screwed up the pattern of my Zombie viXen mitts... I was not in a good mood, so I didn't fix it. They're still residing in my purse, with a screw up 3 rows back.

PLUS! We were talking about stuff at SnB and I said something about how I'm working on finishing some stuff up, because I have like 9 projects on the needles. And everyone at the table looked at me like I'm a lunatic. I mean, 9 really isn't that much. But one of the ladies was a new knitter, one of the ladies knits mostly baby stuff, so it gets finished pretty quickly, and the last lady might be one of those fictional "one at a timers." I know a couple ladies from the group only work on one thing at a time. Which we all know is crazy. I don't have that kind of attention span for anything. Especially when it starts to piss me off. (I'm looking at pretty much all of my projects right now.)

So then on Thursday, I called in and said I was going to freeze to death if I had to come in and work in my cinderblock office. And I spent the day on the couch, doing homework, checking my work email, and knitting a little bit. It wasn't a particularly bad day, but I still felt pretty grouchy. I made the mistake of going to the gym and biking and then coming home and spinning. My calves were pretty unhappy, for some reason. I did finish another braid of wool fest fiber, though!







This was some kind of merino/bamboo in "Plum" from Bonkers fiber. I got a bunch of braids from her last time, some of which were really nice. This braid I wasn't so much a fan of, though. I think the fibers got felted in the intervening months since wool fest, and it's bamboo anyway, which is kind of sticky in the first place. It was NOT a joy to spin.














Actually, the Plum braid was the second braid of wool fest fiber that I finished. I also did some merino/tencel in "Calendula," which is much brighter than I usually purchase. It was kind of fun to spin, though.








And now I have one more braid of fiber from Bonkers, but it's green and blue and I'm trying to keep away from my color rut. And then I have a bag of batts, 8 oz of alpaca, and 2 braids of merino/silk/bamboo in another strange color for me.

You know, now that I list it out, it seems like a lot more than when I was just looking at it in my closet...

I think the real source of crankiness is the fact that I'm only working on things that I feel like I need to finish, and we all know that I don't like to feel forced to do things. I mean, I have a whole lot of new spinning fiber that seems much more exciting than stuff I bought 8 months ago. But I'll feel bad if I don't finish all my fiber from last year before I go to wool fest this year. And I realize wool fest is like 3-4 months away, but let's be realistic; how likely is it that I'll keep up this pace at spinning? Not very likely, that's for sure.

The good news is that I finished the stripy sweater body for the SECOND time. Well, I need to sew up the shoulders, but that won't take long. And then I get to break into new territory and cast on the sleeves! How exciting is that?!






In the meantime, I'm working on these colorwork gloves that I cast on a while ago. I got the kit from Knitpicks because it looked awesome, and it is! But I'm not really in a colorwork mood. Especially not 3-color colorwork. I'm almost done with the first glove, though. Just one more glove and an entire hat before I can kick this kit out of my stash. I really need to feel like I'm making some progress against the stash...







You know another reason I'm so grumpy? I'm not in the mood for anything I have cast on. I'm in the mood for lace. So, theoretically, I could work on the lace edging for the shawl I've been ignoring for MONTHS. Or that other shawl I've been ignoring. But what I really want to do? Is start another one... I'm not going to. Because I'm being well-behaved. But it chafes my soul. Like I said, cranky.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, even I'M not a "one at a timer" mostly thanks to that stupid blanket, but still......
    At least you have the options if you cave though. Nothing wrong with having lots of options right?

    ReplyDelete