Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Monday, April 22, 2013

Deep Breaths

Folks, it has been a whirl-wind month for me here. I've been traveling, planning a party, going to work, doing homework (kind of... not always), and trying to make time to sleep and eat at regular times. Sometimes there's not enough hours in the day. But I still made time to make things!





I'm making my mommy some socks for Mother's Day, and I've finished one and a half so far! I'm only aiming for 2, so there's a pretty good chance she'll actually get a pair, which I think is a good goal. I discovered today that I was supposed to put the pattern on the back of the leg after the heel... too late now! This is a horrible picture, but I think the yarn is too dark to photograph well. I'll try harder when the pair is finished. I may need to go buy some sock blockers.













I'm participating in the Jimmy Beans KAL this month, which is a mystery KAL, so I have no idea what it's going to be. The clue this week is really strange and I haven't finished it yet, so this is a picture of where I left off last week. The colors look nice, I think. I guess I'll just keep hoping it turns into something I want to wear/use.







I've also been trying to use up ALL of my fiber from last year's Wool Market. I know this year's Wool Market isn't until June, but I figure I'm going to need all the help I can get to make this goal, so I pulled out the 8 oz of alpaca that I purchased last year, because it's the largest bunch I have to spin.







It started out looking like 2 very large balls of sliver. They turned out to have a lot of VM in them, so I don't think I'll be getting any of this stuff this year, but it's always nice to find out what you do and don't want.















I spun 3/4 of the sliver into singles, despite the VM. They're a very pretty color, I must say.

















And I've plied approximately 4 oz of the singles into a VERY fuzzy 2 ply. If I wash it and the VM comes out, this could turn into something nice and soft. Not sure what, yet.









Apparently to make up for the fact that I've been busy and going out of my mind over a certain BRIDAL SHOWER BONANZA weekend, I've purchased a large amount of yarn for cowls. It's really not my fault, I ended up browsing Jimmy Beans because of an email they sent me, and there was a free cowl pattern that looked really pretty, and a bunch of kits they recommended and... well, I bought the yarn, not in kits, but one of each color.
Looks like EVERYONE is getting a cowl for whatever occasion arises next. At least the colors are pretty? I might need some more of the white, though. I'll wait until the first of the month, though. It's gonna be awesome. Ish.

And then I went and visited Caitlin, and she gave me a little bit of a yarn tour near her house (we got lost looking for a yarn store that may or may not have been hosted out of someone's house. We really don't know, cuz we didn't stop, we just kept driving.), and I fell down when I encountered Three Irish Girls in person. The colors were awesome and we're lucky I escaped with only 4 skeins of the stuff.
I'd blame Caitlin for allowing me to go crazy, but we all know that there's no way she could have stopped me. At least I escaped unscathed from the quilting store we visited.

I also worked on a sweater all last weekend, but it's in the other room and it's not going to photograph well right now. Suffice to say I made an impressive amount of progress, but not quite enough to allow me to wear a new sweater during the CRAZY weather we're having.

In future, I would like to avoid all this craziness. However, being realistic, knowing myself as I do... it's not gonna happen. We'll just leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment