Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Thursday, August 29, 2013

I want to drop everything and drive to remote yarn store

Sorry for the long silence folks! Well, imaginary folks who read this blog. I have to tell you, the only reason I'm posting is for my own entertainment and to keep me off the streets.

Does anyone else have the problem where all of a sudden there's something you just HAVE to have and you want to chuck all of your responsibilities to go get it? I've been having a lot of those moments lately. Fortunately, I mostly have control over my urges and I have yet to skip work because of a need to go to a particular yarn store.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Shakespeare in the Park with my family members. It wasn't a very good play this year (Cymbeline, which no one has ever heard of for good reason. It's ripped off from all of his other plays and I would have been happy if they'd cut an hour out of it. But that's just me). The best part of the entire evening is when the cast was roaming around outside of the tent (They perform in a tent at Rockledge Ranch) being minstrels. They sang some stereotypically minstrel-ish song for some other group of people. When they came over to our group, my dad asked if they took requests and one of the actors said "Only if you're about to request "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" as your song." Of course, how can you say no to that? It was HILARIOUS. Much better than the play.

Anyway, one of the characters in the play was wearing a scarf or neckerchief or fichu or something that was a FABULOUS shade of marigold. Or goldenrod. Kind of an orangey-yellowy gold at any rate. I immediately became obsessed with owning yarn of this color. Unfortunately, my descriptive skills fail me and you can't exactly download a color image from your brain to the computer and then search for a yarn that matches. It just doesn't work that way, sadly. I managed to find some laceweight (from Fyberspates), which almost fits the bill, but I'm not 100% sure that it's right. And I didn't really want laceweight. I think that Lambspun might have the right color in their Prism yarn, but I've been so busy that I haven't had a moment to take a quick jaunt to Fort Collins. Which is probably ok because the last time I was there for yarn I spent entirely too much money.

But that's not the point. The point is, I MUST have this gold yarn that doesn't seem to exist and nothing I'm knitting now is good enough anymore. Not that I have a pattern in mind for the gold yarn. I'm pretty sure just owning it will fix everything and life can get back to normal.

The second time that I've been tempted to skip work happened just last night. One of the new ladies at Stitch and Bitch brought her big ole knit stuff organizer, which happened to include a large variety of stitch markers. WHICH WERE ADORABLE. She had Big Bang Theory characters, Star Wars characters (including Chewie!), Star Trek characters... OMG. I was so jealous. So I asked where she got them, and she told me The Lemonade Shop made them, but you can actually buy them at Stash in Castle Rock.

Cue my inability to concentrate at work today because I seriously want to book it down to Stash and see what they've got in stock. Because, hello! They make Ewoks. And Sheldon! And Amy Farrah-Fowler!

Sadly, I am a responsible adult, I don't like driving in after-work traffic, and Stash is kinda far away... but one day soon I'm going to forget my responsibilities and be unable to stop myself going hog-crazy on a stitch marker shopping spree. If that level of obsession is wrong, I don't want to be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment