Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Big plans

I had big plans for this weekend. Ambitious. I was going to do some serious work on the lace shawl that has been languishing in time out for several months. And I was going to work on the leafy shawl that promises to be gorgeous and comfy. And I was going keep up my streak on the melonstrosity.

The only one of these that I accomplished completely was the melonstrosity goal. I worked 4 rows on the blanket each night, which means my streak is still intact. I think I only have 7 more blocks to finish. Which will take me approximately 35 days, if I stick to my goal. Which I won't, because next week is Thanksgiving and I'm not dragging the albatross with me for that holiday. It would be pointless, since it would just get ignored.

I did a small amount of work on the lace shawl. I hate the edging. I'm sure it'll look good eventually (that's not true, but I'm trying to believe it is). But right now it's funny looking, hard to work, I'm pretty sure I'm joining it wrong... let's just say there's a good reason that it's in time out. Someone want to work a lace edging on a lace shawl?

I did a few rows on the leafy shawl. Which was fairly satisfying, but I was really lusting after some spinning. Since I didn't bring a spindle with me, and I don't travel with my spinning wheel (it makes me nervous), I was unable to scratch that itch. Which mostly meant that I didn't craft. I read my books. And spent time with people that I don't resent because they're intelligent and I don't have to tutor them. And I watched Caitlin spin things, because the spinning process is rather soothing, even if you're not the one spinning.

Know something interesting that she spun?
Mary, Mary Quite Contrary on BFL roving. I spun it on a hand spindle, she plied it on her wheel. ANd it's finished! And quite luscious, really. It was an early birthday present, because I can't think of anything that I would make with it. It's not in my colors, but she loved the bright greens and the pretty purples and blues. So, let this be a lesson to you: cultivate friendships with other crafters with different tastes than you because that way they won't try to steal your favorite stuff, and you can give them stuff you don't love. Genius!

I didn't take a picture of the other things that I gave her. I should have, though. They were project bags, with little handles and elasticated openings to keep the yarn and stuff on the inside. Caitlin seemed to like them. I'll probably be making some more as gifts for other yarny friends. It'll be good stuff! I really need to get to my gift list. Too many friends have birthdays this time of year (I'm looking at you, Shelby and Caitlin), and then there's Christmas. Or Hanukkah. And all the things that I want to make for myself, of course!

What's on your gift list at this time of year?

1 comment:

  1. But we loooove you. I'll take pix of the project bags and email them &/or blarg them.

    ReplyDelete