Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Sunday, November 20, 2011

I have nothing to knit

That's a lie. I have many things to knit, including the stash and the WIPs. I should say I have nothing that I want to knit. But you know the feeling, right? I've been slaving away at the melonstrosity (4 rows a night equals a little less than 2 hours of work, somewhat less if I'm not procrastinating/distracted/tired). But the melonstrosity knitting is just... duty knitting. I'm doing it because I know I should, and because it will yield a product of which I can be proud and which will be useful. I'm not knitting it because I want to. So it doesn't really count.

I'm also knitting on a cowl, which I started a few days ago because I was bored and because it counts toward Christmas knitting. Which I should really get on. I'm just not inspired about it yet. I probably will be when I get back from Thanksgiving, though, because that will really be crunch time. But now is not the time.

I have, as you know, several shawls on the needles. But the lace shawl I had big plans for last weekend pissed me off to the extent that it's back in time out because I've decided I hate it. Big scary holes, that's all I have to say. The other shawl I'm working on is the leaf lace shawl that I've been eyeing for a while, primarily because the sample I saw is made out of Karabella, which is a yarn company that only manufactures luscious, uber expensive yarns.






Mine is made out of slightly less luscious yarn, because I don't really need to spend a hundred bucks on a shawl. I just don't. Anyway, it's coming along fairly well, although it would be doing better if I could remember my freaking pattern when I leave the house. I'm still on the first ball of yarn, but nearing the end of it (I like to think).









To distract myself from the fact that I have nothing to knit, I have been spinning many things. Firstly, I started some of the fiber that I purchased at last year's Estes Park Wool Market (where Caitlin and I were overcome with wool fumes and nearly hyperventilated because we couldn't purchase everything).
It's Bonkers superwash merino in Indigo. It's very pretty, in person, and I haven't even washed it yet. I'm a little worried that the dye is going to bleed quite a bit when I do wash it, so I'll have to be careful. Anyway, it's pretty and it's plied and now I need to think of something to do with it.

I've also been plying my singles from the Tour de Fleece this summer. I only had a hand spindle for the TdF, so I went a lot more slowly than I thought I would, and didn't get nearly as much done as I had planned. I was proud of what I accomplished, however.

 This is Prim on BFL, from Storied Yarns. It's a representation of a character from The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. This BFL isn't as luscious as the BFL singles I gifted to Caitlin last weekend, but might be nicer after I wash it.

 This, I think, is Rose Quartz on Merino, from a mystery fiber company. All I know is that I purchased this fiber from my LYS, because I lurved the color. It's very nice, and fairly smooth.

This is Mint Petals on merino/silk, from Funky Carolina, which has closed since I purchased this fiber in the spring. It's also my first attempt at 3 ply, which came out quite nicely, and is quite gorgeous because of the silk. It's actually kind of pastel, but I like it. Excellent.

You know what I really want to work on? I want to start a new sweater... I've got it picked out and the yarn and everything, I'm just a little concerned that the yarn is the wrong weight. Which would suck. We shall see. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. No sweaters allowed for me until socks are done....size 15 IS that big.

    ReplyDelete