Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Closet acrylic

I have a confession to make. Despite my penchant for luscious fibers such as alpaca and silk, I also secretly adore acrylic. Nice acrylic, of course. But I like the bright colors, and the fact that it's pretty cheap, and you can get a lot of yardage. It's just so easy. So I keep all my ends of simply soft, just in case I think of a project in which I can use them. And I've fallen deeply in love with Lion Brand's Hometown USA. 

It started with a scarf. A scarf for my brother, since he just started his first year at CU Boulder. And I decided, like any conscientious knitting big sister, that what he really requires is a school spirit related scarf, to wear to football games, and attract members of the opposite sex (or same sex, I'm not here to judge) by it's wonderful squishy coziness. Not so long ago, Caitlin made her brother a wonderful blanket out of Hometown USA. And with the leftovers, she made her sister a wonderful scarf. So wonderful. And I decided that is just what Wyatt needs.

This thing was so quick to knit up. And now I'm addicted. I'm making one for my sister's boyfriend, whose birthday is coming up, I've got the yarn for 2 other scarves that I'm not sure who they're for yet, but they will be WONDERFUL. Squishy and warm, really wide and long (I don't like bitty scarves. I suspect this is related to my horror of cold. More on this topic at a later date.), and so colorful! Really, it's a killer combination. 

Seriously, though. This scarf took me less than 2 days. And look how cozy it looks! And it's taller than I am (I'm almost 6 feet tall). This is the perfect scarf for cold sporting events. I just hope he loves it as much as I do. He doesn't really have a track record for being grateful for things that people give him that he didn't necessarily ask for. But I also gave him Wall-E for his birthday. So he can suck it up. This present is about me, not him. So there!

3 comments:

  1. Buh. That does look luscious. Wyatt should kove it, or at least convince some hotties to kove it. My brother would probably prefer a beanie. I'm thoroughly enjoying my simply soft blanket squares and between the softness and the remembrance that people are intrigued by public crafting my motivation is increased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I figured the scarf would be a good call. Since it's likely to get cold in Boulder at some point... I love how fascinated people get when they see you crafting in public. It's pretty entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for yarn that puts out...i mean..erm..has good yardage. and is soft. that's important too. Acrylic=whore yarn. for so many reasons.

    Also, my brother would look doofie in a beanie, and we've already decided that making clothing for sam=bad idea. as he is HUGE.

    ReplyDelete