Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Friday, August 19, 2011

First time blogger

So, time for true confessions, I guess. I just wanted a blog so I could be like the cool kids. It seems like everyone's got a blog these days, and I feel a bit left out. Therefore, I'm gonna blog about mostly crafty-type stuff. Like my knitting, and spinning, and struggle to wait to buy a spinning wheel until I can actually afford it. But, fair warning, there might be some other stuff thrown in. Like commentary on my daily life. And things that regularly piss me off (might be a lot of these, I'm not sure yet, but I'll try to keep the whining to a minimum). I've never had a blog before, so there might be some issues with posting and other stuff. But I'll do my best.

For now, let's start with some stuff about me. I graduated in 2010 with a degree in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering. Since the economy is in the toilet, and I'd really like to stay in Colorado, I have yet to find an engineering-related job that wants me. Therefore, I'm working as a tutor for some local colleges in the Math Lab. It's a pretty interesting job, because I get ALL kinds of people asking me ALL kinds of questions. You'll probably hear a little bit about that later.

I'm a knitter. I taught myself when I was in middle school/high school, but didn't really get into it until I moved in with a bunch of other girls in college, one of whom was a crocheter and one of whom was a knitter. She's got a blog here, you should read it, she's really funny. Anyway, they used to sit and craft in front of the tv when we had downtime, and I started getting interested. I got into crochet first, because it looked a little less complex and I liked how easy it was to construct a hat. Then Caitlin made a clapotis, and I had to have one, so I picked up knitting again. And haven't stopped since.

I quickly moved through the phase where Simply Soft was good enough for me, and branched out to buying actual natural fibers from actual yarn stores. And then I encountered alpaca. Mmmm. Such lusciousness, I just couldn't resist. Ever since, I've had a complete love affair with any kind of alpaca yarn. And silk, and any combination of the two. It's a hazardous taste. Hence the name of this blog. Have I mentioned that I spin as well? Oh boy, let me tell you, the fiber stash is getting a little bit out of control.

Anyway, I'll probably get around to posting pictures of some of my projects in the near future. I've got quite a few things on the go at the moment, so look forward to seeing them. And thanks for dropping by!

3 comments:

  1. I am SOH EXCITED that you have a blarg. Now we can talk about knitting ALL THE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like we didn't before? Be serious. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Srsly. We talk about crafts, boys, and bitches. I'm just excited I get to live vicariously through your blogs way out hear by the armpit of the country.

    ReplyDelete