Welcome!

A fiber addict's struggle to subdue her baser urges

Saturday, August 27, 2011

You can be the centerpiece of my obsession...

The title of today's post is particularly apt, since I'm feeling a bit obsessed this week. With many things: the song "All your life" by the Band Perry (if you haven't listened to it, I recommend it), the chunky scarves that never end (I started another one), and The Bridal Shower. There are often times that I find myself wholly taken up with a concept or activity. Therefore I know that these obsessions will pass, but for the moment, they are all-absorbing.






I had a good reason for casting on another of the big scarves, I swear! I was going to work, and I didn't have anything on the needles, because yesterday I finished Dj's scarf, and the day before that I finished the socks, and the Runcorn (what Runcorn?) isn't very portable or work friendly since it involves 3 colors and an ability to pay attention to the pattern, and... well, you get the idea. Anyway, since I have the yarn for 2 more of those giant scarves and Abby expressed an interest in one, and her birthday is in December... I cast another one on, just so I would have something to do at work.

Stop that laughing. I can quit whenever I want to. I just don't want to right now, ok?

The bridal shower, well, it's a big event, for one of my very close friends, who I haven't seen in a while, so of course I'm obsessed. Not to mention that I like girly things and decorating and baking and all that. So it's totally natural that I walked in to Michael's today and started freaking out about all the cute things that I could make from the baking section: cake pops, mini brownies, tiny cookies in the shape of her initials, little chocolate candy hearts... let's just leave it at that. I told my sister that I was going to open a bakery, so I could make those cute things all the time. She just laughed at me. Psh.

She's probably right, though. I'm more of a box-baker. Not that I can't make things from scratch, just that the box mixes are so much more convenient and quick! Anyway, probably not opening a bakery. But it's a fun thought!

Another of my totally fabulous obsessions is the fact that my friend Mariah is interested in learning to knit, and it's her birthday coming up, so...
I got her some yarn (Simply Soft and cotton, since they're both pretty accessible), and some needles (straights and circs in metal, and wooden straights). I'm planning on finding some pretty simple patterns too, maybe, and adding those to the bag of crac-- uh, I mean, her lovely birthday present. I'm such a good friend.


And, one last obsession that I forgot to mention up top: I'm knitting a cowl. Out of the most wonderful alpaca yarn that I got on sale from one of the LYSs where I live, because they are going out of business. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm confronted with the kind of closeouts these guys were offering on some absolutely wonderful yarns, my defenses crumbled! So I have a bunch of alpaca in this soft grey, and in a pale green. I'm not sure the green is really a color I would use, so I may be forced to over-dye it. Which will probably end up being another obsession. At least I can spot them coming?

The cowl will likely be done by the end of this weekend. I really like the pattern, A Noble Cowl (ravelry link, so if you don't have ravelry, it won't work). It's simple, easy to follow, easy to spot where you've made a mistake. Basically perfect. I hope my mom likes it. It's going to be her Christmas present.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE my pastry bags, but a word to the wise: they're only fun for about half a batch of cookies especially if you had to make the cookies first. So while it would be oodles of fun for showers etc. knitting is a much healthier obsession...minus the whole carpal tunnel thing.....

    You know what is fun though? Rubber stamping and embossing. Or beads, I have a small thing for beads... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an owner of the big floofy scarf, I totally get it......

    If it helps at least you aren't obsessed with something that will make you blind? (cough cough mini amiguirimi cough cough)

    ReplyDelete